Modern Backup Solution options for QF2
QF2 Solution to Backup Millions of files
The Snapshot Difference API
Advantages of the proposed Method
This method has several advantages:
- It works with all major backup solutions
- It uses the native formats of the backup solution.
- Any media that is supported by the backup solution can be used, such as Disk, Object Storage, Tape, VTL
- Restore is very granular
- Restore is storage agnostic
- It is very fast
Vendors have already started to integrate the Qumulo API in their backup applications. With that, the intermediate step to create the file list can be omitted.
As mentioned above, Atempo leverages the Qumulo API already for its FastScan technology. Atempo’s FastScan feature allows to rapidly collect the list of new, changed and deleted files (by leveraging the Qumulo API) on QF2 in order to initiate data movement early on.
From a high level, Atempo’s FastScan technology for QF2 does the following:
- Trigger and manage SnapShots used to capture coherent file lists at a given point in time.
- Retrieve the list of new, changed and deleted files since the last snapshot.
- Perform the backup or archive to any media that is supported by Atempo (Disk, Tape, Object) without Treewalks on incremental backups.
By using QF2’s API, Atempo implements a modern incremental forever strategy that performs backups is a very fast manner. In addition, users can restore files in a very granular manner to any filesystem with requiring administrative privileges.